Sunday, April 10, 2016

Spring Break Trip to Hawaii

A Hui Hou Kakou Hawaii 

I like to actually relax on my spring break rather than go on one of the wild and crazy Cabo "vacations." Lucky for me my roommate at school is from the peaceful and tranquil island of Hawaii. I went with some of my friends from school for a little over a week to visit my friend's hometown on Oahu as well as the island of Kauai so that it could be an adventure for her too. 

Our first stop was on the island of Kauai, where we stayed in Poipu. The main thing we wanted to do while we were in Kauai was hike so we made sure to go to the Hanakapi'ai Trail. Lucky for us there was an amazing rainbow the morning we were there that was absolutely breathtaking. 





There was also an amazing view of a canyon where a lady persisted in yelling at us for getting too close to the edge. We didn't all share her fear of heights so thankfully she didn't follow us as we made our way to the much riskier waterfall. 


The best part about Kauai was by far the food. I tried poke for the first time which is pieces of fresh, raw fish that can be paired with various sauces and avocado. I also tried shave ice for the first time at a famous food truck on the island called Wishing Well. The shave ice comes in various different flavors from guava to coffee and can be paired with ice cream and condensed milk. 

Image result for shave iceImage result for fish poke by the ocean

While on Kauai we also made our way to Hanalei Bay. It was there that I was able to attempt to surf for the first time. Normally there are very few waves in this spot but during the winter months the surf can be pretty strong. Although I didn't have much luck catching waves it was definitely still a fun time with some amazing views. 




After Kauai we made our way to Oahu. On a rainy morning we took another hike to a trail called the Pill Boxes. This name was given to this trial as there used to be an army lookout points at the very top of the trail. We went early in the morning to see the sunrise but unfortunately the weather was too cloudy to see it. We realized on our way down how muddy the trail had gotten from the rain and were covered in it after slipping and sliding all the way to the bottom.




On our last night we went to a super touristy bar called Cuckoo Coconuts that served drinks in full pineapples. Although it may not have been an authentic Hawaiian experience it was extremely entertaining. The live musician (in the back of the picture) was by far the best I have ever seen, he even got me up to do the twist in front of an entire audience. 



Being from the East Coast I never made it out to Hawaii as a kid, the plane ride was too long for my parents. I am so lucky to have been able to experience such a unique and beautiful island during my time here at USC. If you have never been to Hawaii I highly recommend it. There is so much to do with beaches, hikes, and city life. Not only are there tons of activities but the culture itself is worth the trip. I will definitely be back but for now A Hui Hou Kakou Hawaii (until we meet again Hawaii). 













2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. This makes me want to go there right now and start my vacation already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowwww! Your trip sounds awesome! I really want to Hawaii now.

    ReplyDelete